Update regarding the Community Engagement Committee:
At the March 22, 2017 Library Board meeting, the Community Engagement Policy developed by the Community Engagement Committee was presented to the Board and approved by motion. A toolkit for future community engagement and community linkage work the KFPL staff and board, based on the work of the committee, has also been adopted by the board and will be used to guide ways to include community input.
At the April 26, 2017 Library Board meeting, a report from the Community Engagement Committee with recommendations for the community consultation process for the Patron Code of Conduct was received and approved by motion. The following recommendations were presented and approved:
- That the Community Engagement Toolkit, as developed by the committee and approved by the KFPL Board on March 22, 2017 be used to develop a community engagement process to help to create a Patron Code of Conduct for our libraries
- That, as per the initial motion for deferral of the new code of conduct, a public meeting be included in the community engagement process.
- That the attached consultation proposal be used as a guideline for community engagement towards a new Patron Code of Conduct.
- That information from the initial community feedback (letters, emails) be reviewed and summarized to inform the consultation.
- That the community engagement around the code of conduct inform our evaluation of both the engagement process and engagement outcomes.
The Board will be discussing how to move forward with community consultation for the Patron Code of Conduct at the next Committee of the Whole meetings scheduled for May 10 and June 14.
Update: This has been postponed to the June 28 Library Board meeting and may be deferred to September.
The Community Engagement Committee held its final meeting on May 1, 2017 and was dissolved in accordance with the Committee Terms of Reference. The community members who participated in the committee to ensure that community voices were at the table were thanked for their valuable contributions to the work of the committee.
The Committee will plan and recommend a model for community engagement.
The first application for the model for community engagement will be to provide feedback to assist in the development of the Patron Code of Conduct for our libraries. The Committee will work with the Board to move forward with this.
The Committee will ensure an appropriate flow of information and will develop a protocol for dealing with media inquiries.
The Committee will develop concrete plans for public engagement as expeditiously as possible, to be presented to the Library Board.
- Monday, May 1, 2017; 5:00 PM, Poolside Training Room at Artillery Park
- Monday, March 27, 2017; 5:00 PM, Poolside Training Room at Artillery Park
- Monday, March 13, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Room A, Calvin Park Branch
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017 5:00 PM, Poolside Training Room at Artillery Park.
- Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 5:00 PM, City Hall, Loyalist Room
- Monday, January 30, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Poolside Training Room, Artillery Park
- Monday, December 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM, City Hall, Loyalist Room
- Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 5:00 PM, City Hall, Loyalist Room