KFPL’s Reading Buddies connects teen volunteers with young readers, newcomer youth, and seniors to facilitate one-on-one reading, mentorship, and uplifting connections. Teens working with young readers and newcomer youth collaborate with KFPL staff to provide one-on-one reading support and fun literacy activities for developing readers. Teens working with seniors read to and converse with seniors in Kingston and Frontenac.
Reading Buddy volunteers’ participation in this program entails:
- Assisting with delivery of virtual Reading Buddies content
- Creating a positive, fun, and enriching environment for participants
- Supporting younger readers and newcomers’ development of literacy skills
- Entertaining seniors with engaging reading and conversation
KFPL volunteers are ambassadors of the library. It is expected that KFPL volunteers:
- Commit to all program dates (and communicate promptly if any issues)
- Arrive on time for the start of each program
- Conduct themselves professionally to maintain a safe volunteer environment
- Respect the confidentiality of program participants
* An adult other than a family member should complete the following section. Don’t know who to ask? We suggest a teacher, coach, employer, or supervisor from a previous volunteer opportunity.