The Kingston Frontenac Public Library tries its best to provide a robust collection to our community. However, there will be times when an item is not available, out of print, or doesn’t fit within our collection policy guidelines. If that’s the case for a title you want, we can try to borrow the item on your behalf from another Canadian library through our Interlibrary Loans service.
Can I Place My Own Interlibrary Loan Request?
Yes. Library users must first have a valid library card and an Interlibrary Loan patron record created in the Information Network for Ontario (INFO) system by KFPL staff. To register, provide your full name, address, home phone number and library card number in an email to our Interlibrary Loan office at email@example.com or phone 613 549-8888. Once you have your Interlibrary Loan patron record set up, you can make your ILLO request using the instructions below. If you prefer staff assistance with your requests, please use the online form we've provided.
How Do I Request an Interlibrary Loan
Search KFPL's catalogue first. If we have the titles you are looking for place a reservation in our catalogue. If you want an item that is less than 12 months old and we don't have it, suggest a purchase. Otherwise, once you've identified an item, and you have set up your Interlibrary Loan patron record in the INFO system as explained above, you can make your request:
- Go to https://info.vdxhost.com and select English or French.
- Select Sign In and enter your User ID and password as provided by KFPL.
- Choose Kingston Frontenac Public Library as your library location from the Authentication Service menu.
- Select Standard or Advanced Search.
- In the Current Profile menu, which you will use to switch between providers, select Rideau South [shared] for your initial profile.
- Enter your search terms and click Search. If there are no results, you can select a different profile from the Current Profile menu and repeat the search.
- When you find your item, select Details to verify this is the item that you want.
- Select Get It! to place a request. Item details are automatically entered in the interlibrary loan form.
- Complete the form by selecting your preferred Pickup Location from the drop down menu at the bottom of the form.
- Click the Request button to complete your request.
- You can view your requests at any time by using the My Requests Link.
- Sign out when you are finished.
Interlibrary loan requests for academic materials, microfilm or journals articles can only be made through this online form
How the Interlibrary Loan Service Works
What costs are involved?
- Replacement costs for lost/damaged items are determined by the lending library.
What can I borrow?
- Patrons submitting their own interlibrary loan requests with their INFO account may have 10 active requests at any given time.
- Patrons requesting academic materials, microfilm or journal articles, or any ILLO request made on their behalf by a staff member, may have 3 active requests at any given time.
How long can I borrow an item?
- The item usually arrives within 4 to 6 weeks.
- We’ll call or e-mail you when it is ready to be picked up.
- The loan period is usually about 3 weeks. It is set by the library that lends us the item. DVDs may have shorter loan periods.