If you live in the city of Kingston or the townships of Frontenac, you are entitled to a free library card. You may use your card to borrow materials at any of our 16 branches, to use our digital collections, and to register for library programs.
Kingston-Frontenac residents can register online for a Kingston Frontenac Public Library membership.
Your membership will be valid for one month. You can visit your home library branch to pick up your physical library card. Remember to bring a piece of ID to verify your address.
What Do I Need To Get a Library Card?
If you don't have a permanent address it is still possible to get a library card. Library staff will be happy to explain the options
To sign up or to renew an expired membership, residents over 16 will be asked for identification that shows their name and address such as a Driver's License or Ontario Photo Card. Youth under 16 can get a library card when a parent or legal guardian shows their identification and approves the library card or completes the Application for Library Card form.
If you do not have identification with your current address, you can provide any of the following:
- your student card or other proof of enrollment if you attend an educational institution in the city or townships and identification which includes your name and current address; or
- a current tax receipt or other proof of payment if you pay city or township taxes; or
- proof of payment if you personally own or rent business space in the city or townships; or
- a piece of mail postmarked within the last 30 days received at your current address along with another piece of identification with your name on it.
Youth under 16 will also need to have written parental permission to use the Internet. Download the Caregiver Permission form.
Your card will be renewed every two years, and our staff will confirm your address and other contact information is still correct.
Using Your Card
Your library card is for your individual use only. It is not transferable. You are responsible for all materials borrowed on your card.
If your library card is lost or stolen, please let the library know right away so that we can prevent others from using it. Patrons are responsible for materials borrowed on their card if it is lost or stolen. To replace your card, you will need to show the identification listed above.
If you live outside of the city of Kingston or the townships of South Frontenac, Central Frontenac, North Frontenac or Frontenac Islands, you may choose:
- a one-year membership ($52);
- a 6-month membership ($26);
- a 3-month membership ($13)
An adult membership entitles you to free library cards for your children under 16 years of age.
The Kingston Frontenac Public Library offers a corporate membership to Kingston and Frontenac County Area businesses, organizations or institutions. If you would like to apply for a membership, submit a completed Corporate Membership form to your local branch.