If you live in the city of Kingston or the townships of Frontenac, you are entitled to a free library card. You will need to show your card in order to borrow materials from any of our branches.
What Do I Need To Get a Library Card?
Here is how to obtain a free library card from KFPL:
Anyone over 16 will need to show identification that includes his or her name and current address. People under 16 years of age can get a library card when a parent or legal guardian shows his or her identification and signs for the library card.
To sign up for a card, or to renew an expired membership, please bring identification, such as a Driver’s License or Ontario Photo Card with your current address to any library branch. If you do not have identification with your current address, you can provide any of the following:
- your student card or other proof of enrollment if you attend an educational institution in the city or townships and identification which includes your name and current address; or
- a current tax receipt or other proof of payment if you pay city or township taxes; or
- proof of payment if you personally own or rent business space in the city or townships; or
- a piece of mail postmarked within the last 30 days received at your current address along with another piece of identification with your name on it.
People under 16 will also need to have written parental permission to use the Internet.
Using Your Card
Your library card is for your individual use only. It is not transferable. You are responsible for all materials borrowed on your card. If the card is lost or stolen, let KFPL know right away so that we can prevent others from using it. You may use your card at all 16 KFPL branches. Like other plastic cards, it is a permanent card. You will need to update your membership each year by showing the identification listed above.
If your library card is lost or stolen, let the library know right away so that we can prevent others from using it. Patrons are responsible for materials borrowed on their card if it is lost or stolen. To replace your card, you will need to show the identification listed above.
If you live outside of the city of Kingston or the townships of South Frontenac, Central Frontenac, North Frontenac or Frontenac Islands, you may choose:
- a one-year membership ($48);
- a 6-month membership ($24);
- a 3-month membership ($12)
An adult membership entitles you to free library cards for your children under 16 years of age.
The Kingston Frontenac Public Library offers a corporate membership to Kingston and Frontenac County Area businesses, organizations or institutions. If you would like to apply for a membership, submit a completed Corporate Membership form to your local branch.
Book Club Card
KFPL offers book clubs the opportunity to obtain a Book Club Card. Please visit our Book Club Set page for more information.